What Type Of Gas Is Used For Tig Welding?

Welding has become a ubiquitous need in modern life for various applications and has seen a marked growth over the past few years. TIG welding, a very specific type of welding, has seen tremendous use in general and industrial purposes. The use of gases, specifically inert gases and mixtures thereof, is crucial to efficient and safe TIG welding.

Do you want to know what type of gas is used for TIG welding? It turns out that not only is it important to understand what gas is used, but also what are characteristics of the gas mixture and amounts used.

As per statistics, Argon is used widely and stands for about 98% of the widely used TIG welding gases with the rest filling the bill for the remaining 2% components. The interesting thing about welding is it can be a very safe process as long as proper gases, such as Argon, are carefully selected and used.

Keep reading to know more about Argon and other gases used in TIG welding and why it is important to maintain safety protocols along the way.

What Type of Gas Is Used For TIG Welding?

TIG welding, also known as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is an arc welding process that uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode, a gas shroud and an electric arc to weld metal together.

The choice of gas you use for TIG welding is important in order to create a strong, high quality weld.

Types of Gas Used for TIG Welding

Most commonly, argon is used in TIG welding. Argon is a monatomic, odorless, colorless, non-toxic and inert gas.

It is the most popular gas for welding because it produces a clean weld with minimal defects and is capable of producing high quality welds.

  • Argon/Helium Gas – This is used for welding stainless steel, steel, aluminum and copper.

  • Argon/CO2 Gas – This is used for welding steel and is cheaper than argon/helium gas.
  • Hydrogen Gas – This is used for welding aluminum and is often used in combination with argon or helium.

Factors to Consider When Selecting Gas

There are several factors to consider when selecting the right gas for your particular TIG welding project.

These factors include the base metal thickness, the current amperage, CFM (cubic feet per minute) requirements, the post-weld annealing requirements, the temperature requirements and the cost of the welding gas.

Safety Precautions

TIG welding can be dangerous, so it’s important to take safety precautions. Always wear the appropriate safety gear, including safety goggles and a welding helmet with a face shield.

Make sure that you are aware of the potential hazards associated with using TIG welding, such as electric shock and explosions.


TIG welding is a highly precise type of welding that requires the right gas for a strong, high-quality weld.

Argon is the most popular gas for TIG welding, but other gases may be used depending on the project. When selecting a gas for TIG welding, several factors should be considered, including the base metal thickness, current amperage, post-weld annealing requirements, temperature requirements and cost of the welding gas. Safety is of the utmost importance when TIG welding and the proper safety gear should always be worn. Citation URLs: https://www. bing. com/search?q=what%20type%20of%20gas%20used%20for%20tig%20welding%3F&form=ANNTH1&refig=e9468a3f4da84248cbfedf6dc115666d&pq=what%20type%20of%20gas%20used%20for%20tig%20welding%3F&sc=8-23&qs=n&sk=&cvid=e9468a3f4da84248cbfedf6dc115666dhttps://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/Gas_tungsten_arc_weldinghttps://www. millerwelds. com/resources/article-library/gas-selection-for-tig-weldinghttps://northernweldersupply. com/blog/tig-welding-gas-types-and-usage/

Leave a Comment