Welcome to the fascinating world of gas water heaters! Have you ever come across the word, ‘tank’ associated with your gas water heater and wondered what it’s all about?
In this article, we will dive into the world of tanks – explaining all the fine details you need to know. Keep reading and explore the workings of gas water heaters and discover the role of your gas water tank!
What is Tank in Gas Water Heater?A gas water heater tank is a key component of any home’s hot water source. Gas water heaters come in various sizes each with a different storage capacity, and it is important to understand the differences between them so you can make the right choice for your home.
In this article, we’ll explain what the tank is and how it works in a gas water heater.
Understanding the Tank in Gas Water Heater
- The tank in a gas water heater is simply a large cylinder that holds and stores a certain amount of water, usually about 30 to 50 gallons for residential tanks.
- The tank is made of either steel or glass-lined steel. Steel tanks are cheaper but heavier, while glass-lined tanks are more expensive but better insulated against corrosion and last longer.
- The inside of the tank is coated with a material that prevents the water from rusting or corroding the tank over time.
- At the bottom of the tank is a drain valve, which is used to drain out the cold water when the tank needs to be refilled.
How Does a Gas Water Heater Tank Work?
- The gas water heater tank works by drawing cold water from the home’s water supply and then heating it up using natural gas or propane.
- When the water reaches the desired temperature, the burner will turn off and the heated water is then stored in the tank until it is needed.
- When the hot water tap is opened, the water is pulled from the tank and sent through the plumbing system until the tap is closed.
- The tank also ensures that there is enough hot water available at all times, as the water is constantly being heated and stored.
Choosing the Right Gas Water Heater Tank Size
- The size of the gas water heater tank is an important consideration when choosing the best one for your home.
- The size of the tank will determine how much hot water you are able to have on demand, so it is important to factor in your family’s needs when making a decision.
- Typically, the larger the tank, the more hot water you’ll be able to have in reserve and therefore the better your overall hot water supply.