Have you ever experienced a cold or lukewarm shower? It’s an unpleasant experience, isn’t it?
If you are tired of constantly adjusting the water temperature as you shower, you may want to consider tankless water heater with a recirculation system. But what exactly is recirculation in a tankless water heater and how does it work? In this article, we’ll explain this interesting topic and how a recirculation system can give you hot water whenever you need it.
Keep reading to find out more!
What is Recirculation in Tankless Water Heater?Tankless water heaters are a popular alternative to standard storage tank water heaters, offering energy efficient hot water on demand. However, for tankless water heaters to provide the maximum efficiency and comfort, they must have built-in recirculation systems.
What Does Recirculation Do?Recirculation is the process of moving hot water from the tankless water heater to the tap point and then back again.
This allows users to get hot water faster than if they waited for the water to come out of the faucet cold and then heat up. Recirculation also helps conserve energy by reducing the amount of time it takes to fill a hot water tank, or to heat a larger tank, as well as cutting down on water waste.
How Does Recirculation Work?
When hot water is requested, the tankless water heater will shut off the cold water supply and divert the hot water to the point of request. The hot water will then be used before being sent back to the tankless water heater, ensuring that there is continuous hot water at the tap point.
Types of Recirculation SystemsThere are two main types of recirculation systems:
- A Timed Recirculation System – This system is triggered by a timer and activates periodically throughout the day, circulating hot water from the tankless water heater to the tap points in case someone needs hot water. This is the smarter of the two systems as it prevents energy from being wasted keeping hot water in the line when not necessary.
- Demand Recirculation System – This system is triggered by a motion or flow sensor and circulates hot water as soon as there is a request, and will continue to circulate hot water until it is no longer needed. This can help save even more energy and is perfect for businesses and homeowners who want to get unlimited hot water.
Benefits of Installing Recirculation SystemThe benefits of installing a tankless water heater with a recirculation system include:
- Energy Efficiency – The biggest advantage of a tankless water heater with a recirculation system is that it will save energy by not having to heat and reheat the same water multiple times.
- Saving Time – With a recirculation system, you will have hot water on demand, cutting out the wait time for the water to heat up.
- Energy Savings – The energy saved by not having to heat the same water over and over will add up over time, resulting in significant long-term savings.
- Environmental Friendliness – By reducing energy consumption and water usage, you will be doing your part to help protect the environment.